Is Your Web Site Keyword Competitive?
The importance of keywords to your web site's promotional initiative cannot be underrated. Proper keyword selection is required to ensure the web site reaches the identified audience to improve targeted web site traffic volumes.
Developing extensive keyword lists is time consuming, and demands a return on investment however, to obtain the ROI those keywords should be analyzed.
Does the web site have the Domain Authority to be competitive for selected keywords/phrases?
What is the Keyword Instance Competitiveness (KIC). How many instances of the keyword are there to compete against.
The keyword analysis process is time consuming and therefore it is imperative to consider carefully the keywords to be analyzed and the analytical process selection.
From preliminary keyword lists, keywords and phrases are selected for analysis.
Keyword Instance Analysis
Each instance or use of a keyword or phrase is competition for the specified word or phrase. Keyword Instance Analysis evaluates keyword use for instances of:
- Exact Phrase
- In Anchor text of back links
Keyword Instance Analysis Steps
- Select keywords for analysis
- Open browser visit Google
- To Search for Exact Phrase put term in quotations “your term”
- Enter number of Exact Phrase instances in spreadsheet
- Repeat search using Google Advance search features for additional criteria and enter results in spreadsheet
What the Data Means
Exact Phrase: The Exact Phrase represents the number of instances of your term found in Google's index. This number represents the Competition
All In Anchor Decisions
- Lower the Exact Phrase number = less competition for keyword phrase.
Note: Consider also evaluating In URL and In Title
- If All In Anchor is very low number, keyword worth further analysis
- All In Anchor similar to or less than Exact Phrase Evaluate other elements prior to optimization
- All In Anchor more than Exact Phrase indicates high competition.
Domain Authority Analysis
Domain Authority Analysis evaluates the Domain Authority of web pages which have Search Engine visibility for the following criteria.
The results are compared to your web site's Domain Authority indicators to evaluate the keywords which the web site can be competitive.
Domain Authority Analysis also indicates the work required to achieve Search Engine visibility for select words and phrases.
Note: Although Domain Strength combined with Relevancy are the primary factors in Search Engine Results Page placement allocation. In the course of analysis you will view results which apparently do not make sense. Review these sites carefully as these sites represent opportunities.
Domain Authority Analysis Steps
- Google Page Rank: Ratings of 1 to 10 rated low to high
- Yahoo Linkdomian: The number of inbound links to a web site
- Domain Age:Time period from initial Domain Name registration
- Open browser and visit Google
- Search for selected keyword or phrase
- Using Firefox and SeoQuake open top 5 or 10 results in new tabs
- Open spreadsheet and note of the Domain Authority Analysis information for each site
- Review individual and averaged results against your web page information
Evaluating the Information
Often scanning the results in the spreadsheet identifies the keyword opportunities for both types of competitive analysis.
Domain Authority Analysis offers insight of what tasks are required to compete with the current web pages. In most cases the options available are primarily link building.